Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Weather is on my side Today

A few months back I had a post about how the wonderful Michigan weather was trying to keep me out of the gym, it was making me sick and causing slow traffic and keeping me from working out. Well today the weather is on my side. It is CRAPPY outside! Snowy, blowy, drizzly, cold!

I have been bringing all the fixings for a nice salad on Monday and then making salads all week from it. So today I had mixed greens, broccoli flowerettes, carrots and tuna waiting for me in the fridge. But I didn't want it. I had all those things, plus tomato for a salad for lunch Monday, then I had taco salad on Tuesday (trust me, it was healthy, I'll tell you about it in a second), then the mixed salad again yesterday, and I just didn't want it today! I wanted a sandwich, or a burger, or anything other than a salad. And I was totally ready to go out to lunch, and then I saw the weather outside! We don't have any vending machines here in our new building, but they have a few (with fresh sandwiches and frozen pizza and chips, and everything you could want) in the main building across the street. But it is so yucky out I don't even want to make the 45 second walk over there. So....I'm eating my salad, again! But I am going to bring something else for lunch tomorrow, maybe some leftovers from home, or a Lean Cuisine meal from the freezer.

OK, so let me tell you about the tacos I made for dinner on Monday. The hubby loves taco night for dinner, and I used to really do it up with rice and beans, quesidillas, chips and salsa, all the fixings and tacos too. Well, we have not had taco night since I have been trying to cook healthier, but I thought, "Why can't I just make healthy tacos?" I was on a mission!

So I told my hubby we were having taco night! I texted him during the day and reminded him that it was taco night, I really wanted to get him ramped up for it. And then he wandered into the kitchen when I was starting to cook and asked astonished "Why are you cooking a big pan of celery?!? You better not be putting celery into my tacos! No Way!" So I assured him that it would be ok and shoed him out of the kitchen. I cooked a bunch of celery, chopped up little, with sea salt and a bit of olive oil and garlic until soft. Then I added a red pepper I had diced up and cooked it until it was almost mush. Then I added the ground turkey (93/7) and browned that. Then I spiced it up with a packet of low sodium taco seasoning. In the mean time I also made a package of Spanish rice (just regular rice-a-roni kind, only Kroger brand) and added extra tomatoes and a few handfuls of frozen corn kernels. And I served it with freshly shredded low fat cheese, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, black olive slices, and homemade guacamole (which is just smashed avocado with spices, basically another vegetable). So the meat was at least 1/2 veggies, the rice was 1/2 veggies, and I served it with veggies, and soft shells. The hubby said it was all good, he couldn't taste the celery and didn't even know about the peppers or turkey until I told him. So Healthy Taco Night.....Success!!

No comments: