Monday, November 10, 2008

The Weather is working against me!

In case you don't know, I live in Michigan. Michigan where we have weather that will knock you off guard when you are not looking. And right now it seems like the weather is trying to knock me out of my work-out routine. And if you've been following along, I can not afford to be thrown off my routine. We have learned that I am almost hopeless with a diet, so my exercise routine is all I have!

Last week I started getting sick. Nothing big, just a cold. I got a scratchy throat, little headache, tired, you know- what you get with the change in the weather. This started on Tuesday night. On Wednesday morning I got up at 6am to go work out, but I only made it as far as the bathroom before I decided that I was in no condition to be exerting myself. So I crawled back into bed and re-set the alarm. It was my first time that I officially skipped a workout!

As the day went on I didn't feel too bad, and I went to the hospital on my way home that night to see my new nephew. This all led to me getting home late and not getting the rest that I should have. So I got up Thursday to go workout, and I felt way worse than I had the day before. But I couldn't skip two days in a row, so I sucked it up and went. I did my cardio OK, then started some weights with my trainer. I did some back and shoulder stuff with no incident. Then it was time for squats, with a 20 pound bar. I did the 1st set ok. But I needed to sit down when I was done. Then I started the 2nd set and got about 5 reps in before I thought something was feeling alittle funny. I did one more and the room swayed a bit, so I stopped and took a few deep breathes, then I tried to do another one and started to go down. My head was all swimmy and I could feel my pulse beating really hard in my neck. My trainer made me sit down immediately and told me that I was done for the day. He explained that if you are even a little sick it will really show up when you are working out your legs, something about them being big muscles, I don't know I was really just trying to not pass out. So that cut the workout short.

Friday I was determined to do something, so I went to the workout center. I jumped on a treadmill and started at my normal warm-up pace. After a few minutes instead of reeving the machine up a bit, I slowed it down. Then a few minutes later I slowed it down again. This went on for about 20 minutes, until I just gave up completely. Little did I know that my trainer was standing right behind me. "Wha'cha doing?" he asked. "I'm done!" I told him. He kept asking "Why?" as I explained that I was tired and sick and needed to quit for the day. But he was understanding and told me to rest up over the weekend, lots of fluids, blah blah blah, and he'd see me on Monday.

So over the weekend I got very little done, I had to cancel plans that I had (Sorry Kendra) and tried to get some rest. And today is Monday, and I'm full fledged SICK!!! Coughing, sneezing, green snot, the works! But it wasn't going to keep me out of the gym. So I got up, dressed, in my truck and on my way. Until I hit Traffic! In the morning it usually takes me just under 30 minutes to get to work. Today it took me over 90 minutes!! When I walked out my door there was a tinny tiny bit of snow on the ground, but apparently a whole ton of black ice on the freeways, and no one thought it would be a nice idea to send out salt trucks. So there were spin-out all over and the rest of us crawled along. I started watching the clock like,"I guess my workout will get cut short." Then "I might just have to skip it and just start work alittle early" Then "Well I guess I'm not working out." And finally "I don't even think I'm going to get to work on time!" Which I didn't.

So the weather is out to get me. It's trying to make me too sick to workout, and then when that isn't working, then it is throwing traffic jams in my way! Ohh well, tomorrow is another day. And I guess I'll just need to get up a little earlier!

2 comments:

Kendra Linn said...

I understand why you had to cancel your plans and I am with you about the weather, I am logging in 5000 steps a day and I need to do 10000! Keep it up, a week of lousys will not set you back. You are changing your life! Keep it up.

four little blessings said...

Keep it up and ask Kendra if there is a Psalm that might help you in your journey.. (see my blog for details!)