Monday, November 17, 2008

First steps along the new path....

Ok, so far so good. I went shopping on Friday and got the regular stuff for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. And plenty of fresh fruits for snacks, but also and some healthier versions of not-healthy snacks. So now if I am dying for dessert, I can have a sager free jello cup with whipped cream, and the whole thing is only 30 calories. (Yes, only thirty, I did not forget a zero.) And I have always had healthy things in the house for dinner, it just seems like the last few weeks I have been busy or tired when I got home, so I skipped the home-made dinner and instead opted for take-out.
On Friday, since I was home from work, I had already promised my daughter that I would pick her up from school and we would go to McDonald's play land for lunch. And if this was a week or two ago I would have had no issue ordering a burger and fries. And it was really hard to not order it once I was there and smelling it, but I got a salad w/ grilled chicken, water to drink, and a fruit & walnut salad for us all to share. (The kids shared a happy meal with nuggets & fries & milk.) And I cooked meatloaf for dinner. It was made from Kudu meat (my boss is a huge hunter and goes on all kinds of game hunts in Africa and all over the world, and then he gives the meat out to the employees, and in this economy I am not going to turn down any free meat, even if I have no idea what it is I'm cooking!) and it had almost no fat in it. And I toasted some whole wheat bread to make bread crumbs with, and made a tomato relish so it wasn't covered with ketchup. So it was actually very healthy meatloaf. And Saturday we went over to babysit the new baby nephew (it was the 1st time he's been left with a sitter, so I am now 1st sitter on top of 1st poopy diaper changer, I rule in this baby's life so far!!) because it was my sister in laws birthday and they were going to dinner. And when we got there she had made a cake and told us to eat some while they were gone. And hubby had cake, and he shared with my daughter and son, and I didn't even have a taste, I just had a jello when I got home. And then yesterday we had tickets to the circus from my work. And whenever my work hosts events there is a suite full of food, but I ate well, I could have had breaded chicken tenders with a pop and cookies and brownies for dessert. But instead I had some roasted lamb chops and hung around the fruit platter and drank water, and then jello again at home. It's so much easier to say no to dessert when I know I get to have whipped cream when I get home. And I also bought fat-free sugar-free pudding cups for when I really need chocolate, they are 100 calories each, so I could have 3 jellos for every one pudding, but one pudding is soooo much better than one of most anything else.
So as long as I plan ahead, and know that I have guilt free snack options, I might be able to stick to this. Who's taking bets on the next time I fall off the wagon??

No comments: